Crispy Alaska Cod BLT Sandwich
It’s a CBLT – add buttery, battered Alaska cod to this classic sandwich for a delectable dish!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 fillet of Alaska cod about 1 ½ pounds, cut into six pieces to fit bun size
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 6 potato roll buns
- 1 large tomato thickly sliced
- 12 slices of bacon cooked till crispy (alternative: add capers for saltiness)
- Fresh dill
- Sliced dill kosher pickles
- Butter or romaine lettuce leaves for serving
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ garlic clove grated
- Step 1: Mix the batter In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, water, baking powder, and salt until smooth. The batter will bubble up, but continue to stir until the bubbles dissipate and the batter is smooth. Add spices, stir again.
- Step 2: Fry the cod Line a baking sheet with paper towels and top with a wire cooling rack; set aside. Heat 1.5 inches of oil in a small cast iron skillet until it shimmers but isn’t smoking. Dip one piece of cod into the batter and drop directly into the skillet with oil. Cook each fillet one at a time, about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown with an internal temperature of 145F. Place fried fillets on the wire cooling rack to drain. Continue this process with each piece of cod.
- Step 3: Make the sandwich spread In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic and set aside.
- Step 4: Assemble sandwichesToast the buns. Spread mayonnaise mixture on each bun. Layer on pickles, dill, fish, tomatoes, bacon and lettuce. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Carlene Thomas of OhCarlene https://www.alaskaseafood.org/recipe/crispy-alaska-cod-blt-sandwich/ Recipe and image courtesy of www.alaskaseafood.org
Click HERE to explore all of your cod options at Custom Seafoods!